Whiskey Hot Chocolate Drink Recipe: Spiked Hot Cocoa with Cardamom
This irresistible spiked hot cocoa recipe is perfect for get-togethers with friends and family! The Cardamom Whiskey Hot Chocolate makes a great addition to your party drink menu, especially during those cooler months. Or, if you are simply looking for a chocolate alcoholic drink, take your classic hot cocoa to the next level with this unique and delicious twist!
- 8 oz whole milk
- 5 to 8 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 heaping tablespoon organic hot chocolate
- 1 oz rye whiskey
- 1 barspoon highest quality coffee liqueur
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Pinch ground cardamom (optional)
This is easily scaled up for a few or even a big crowd. If you want a super strong cardamom flavor, think about mixing the cardamom and milk ahead of heating it to let the flavors meld more. If you do this, we advise not to add additional ground cardamom as a garnish.
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, add the milk and crushed cardamom pods. Heat, whisking constantly, until just under boiling. Remove the mixture from the heat.
- Add the hot chocolate mix slowly, whisking as you go until fully incorporated.
- Grab a mug, and strain the hot chocolate while you pour it in so to remove all the cardamom pod bits.
- Add the whiskey and coffee liqueur, and give it a stir. Add a dollop of whipped cream, and sprinkle on a garnish of ground cardamom if you'd like.