Millionaire Shortbread Bars Recipe | Lake Champlain Chocolates
This impressive layered bar cookie (Millionaire Bar) recipe combines classic shortbread, rich salted caramel, and smooth dark chocolate ganache in one indulgent bite. Get ready to be the MVP of your next picnic, potluck, or party!
Yield: 18 bars
- 7 ounces butter (1 stick plus 6 tablespoons), cut into cubes
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment, leaving some overhang on the long sides so you can easily lift the finished product out of the pan. Grease lightly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and paddle on medium-low speed until the mixture becomes sandy and holds together when you squeeze a bit of it in your hand.
- Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom of parchment-lined pan. Place the pan into the fridge of freezer to firm up for about 30 minutes.
- Bake the shortbread in a 350 degree oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool while you make the caramel.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook on medium, whisking constantly for 3-5 minutes. Mixture will get thick and boil vigorously, and darken just a bit.
- Strain the mixture and pour onto cooled crust, smoothing with a spatula. Let set in refrigerator until completely cool.
- Melt ingredients together in 10-second increments in the microwave or over a double boiler, stirring until smooth and shiny.
- Pour over the cooled caramel layer and spread with a small spatula. Sprinkle with sea salt to garnish.
- Cool in refrigerator until set. Using the overhanging parchment edges, pull the bar out of the pan. Remove parchment and slice with a sharp knife.