Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe: Homemade Chocolate Pies
This classic Chocolate Cream Pie recipe delivers a dense and creamy chocolate filling that pairs perfectly with whipped cream and crunchy chocolate pieces. The flaky crust holding everything together, balances the flavors and lures you back for another slice.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups melted chocolate (chopped 72% extra dark or Organic 57% Dark bar would work well here)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup, or 1 bar chopped for topping
- Make 1⁄2 recipe pie dough.
- Blind bake pie shell at 375°F until dry, pale, and cooked all the way through.
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and yolks in a heavy saucepan until combined.
- Add milk in a stream while whisking.
- Bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking. Reduce to a simmer whisking for 1 minute.
- Pour filling through a strainer into a bowl, then whisk in chocolate, butter, and vanilla.
- Cover surface of filling with a buttered round of parchment paper and allow to cool at least 2 hours.
- Spoon filling into prepared pie crust, loosely cover, and chill at least 6 hours.
- Top with whipped cream and chopped chocolate. Pie can be refrigerated up to 4 days.