- Step 1: Break chocolate into small pieces; this enables the chocolate to melt more easily, with less chance of scorching.
- Step 2: Put 2⁄3 of the chocolate into the bowl and melt on 50% power for one-minute intervals, stirring in between each interval.
- Step 3: Remove from microwave and stir. Temperature should be between 100-110°F. If necessary, reheat for 30-second intervals.
- Step 4: Add remaining chocolate in small amounts while stirring. Be sure that the pieces are completely melted before adding more.
- Step 5: The chocolate will thicken and become cool, shiny, and smooth as you continue stirring and “seeding” it by adding additional small amounts. When it has reached the range 84-91°F, the chocolate will be tempered and ready to work with. If using candy molds, be sure that they are at the same temperature as the tempered chocolate before filling them.
Microwave safe bowl
Thermometer that reads temperatures between 80-130°F