Best Homemade Chocolate Pudding Recipe | Lake Champlain Chocolates
Want to know how to make the perfect Chocolate Pudding from scratch? Follow this delicious recipe which combines cocoa powder and melted chocolate for a pudding dessert with a creamy and intense chocolate flavor! Not only is this treat yum-worthy, it is also gluten-free and pairs well with a variety of toppings including whipped cream, sprinkles, chunks of fudgey brownies, or berries... whatever you'd like!
Yield: 6 cups of pudding
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup, or 3 gourmet chocolate candy bars (we like the Organic Dark Chocolate bar)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar (split into 1⁄3 and 2⁄3)
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
*The components of this recipe are gluten-free. The cocoa powder and chocolate bars recommended for use are made with gluten-free ingredients. Please note that all products are manufactured in the same factory as products that may contain allergens. Although we employ good manufacturing practices to minimize cross-contact, we do not guarantee any product is entirely free of minute traces of wheat, soy, tree nuts, or peanuts.
- Melt butter and chocolate together. Set aside.
- Heat milk and 1⁄3 cup of sugar in saucepan over low heat until it begins to steam.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl.
- Combine eggs, yolks, and heavy cream with a whisk.
- Slowly pour 1⁄4 of the hot milk mixture over egg mixture while stirring. Add another 1⁄4 of the milk mixture and stir to combine. Pour mixture back into pan with milk.
- Add cocoa mixture to saucepan with remaining milk mixture and bring to boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Let boil for 30 seconds on low.
- Remove from heat and add melted chocolate mixture, and vanilla.
- Pour into glasses or containers. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down on the surfaces to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool to room temperature for about an hour.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Keep pudding in an airtight container in the fridge. Should be eaten within 4 days of making.