Gluten Free Vegan
Homemade Chicken or Pork Rub: Spicy Dry Rub Recipe
Next time chicken or pork is on the menu, try this tasty, spicy dry rub recipe for an irresistible flavor combination! Made with some of our favorite spices, almonds, and roasted cacao nibs, this homemade rub is like nothing you've tried before! It's sure to be a crowd pleaser at your next BBQ... a little sweet, a little spicy, and a lot of YUM!
Yield: 2 cups of dry rub
- 6 tablespoons hot cocoa mix
- 5 tablespoons roasted cacao nibs
- 5 tablespoons finely chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (or for a less smoky flavor use chili flakes)
- 5 tablespoons paprika (or for a more smoky flavor use smoked paprika)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sumac powder
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
Baked Chicken Thighs
- Rub surfaces of boneless chicken thighs with olive oil, then pat with spicy rub.
- Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature, or refrigerate up to 8 hours.
- Bake at 450°F for 18 minutes (until internal temperature of chicken is 165°F).
- Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Do not re-use rub that has been in contact with raw meat.
- Using a large chef's knife, finely chop almonds.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.