Molten Chocolate Cakes
These delicious, rich Molten Chocolate Cakes have so much going for them… for starters, the ingredients in this recipe are ones you often have on hand. These individual chocolate lava cakes take no more than 15 minutes of active time to make. You can prepare the batter weeks in advance, pop the ramekins in the freezer, and whip them out for an impressive dessert on a moment’s notice. Serve alongside freshly whipped cream and a bowl of local berries.
How to Make:
• Smear room temperature butter into ramekins and dust each with cocoa powder.
• Melt butter and chocolate over a double boiler.
• Combine eggs and sugar in bowl of a mixer and whip on high speed until very light in color and a ribbon forms on top of the mixture when the whip is lifted (this can take 10 minutes or more).
• Pour egg mixture over chocolate mixture and fold while slowly sifting flour in.
• Transfer batter to ramekins, cover with plastic and freeze for at least 2 hours (can be kept frozen for 2 weeks).
• Allow cake to temper in refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
• Bake in a 400F oven for 10 minutes.
• Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Yield: 8 large (3 1⁄2") or 12 small (2") individual cakes