Simple Recipe for Pie Crust
This very basic pie crust is simple to make, uses few ingredients, and can be prepared ahead of time and frozen. It can be used as a base for any dish, savory or sweet, and is great to keep on hand for a last minute quiche or chocolate cream pie.
1 teaspoon salt
2⁄3 cup water -- very cold
2 2⁄3 cups flour
19 tablespoons butter -- very cold
How to Make:
• Mix salt and water together to dissolve and keep cold in refrigerator.
• Mix butter into flour until the size of peas using hands.
• Add water to flour/butter mixture and mix until shaggy – just enough to bring together.
• Divide dough into two portions, flattened into discs and wrapped in plastic.
• Refrigerate a minimum of 2 hours. Dough can also be frozen at this point.
• Roll each piece, rotating 45 degrees between each roll to ensure an even, round circle.
Partial Blind Bake (most pies): line frozen pastry shell with parchment or aluminum foil and pie weights or dry beans. Bake about 20 minutes at 350F, until no dense or opaque areas are left. Remove parchment and weights and continue baking about 5 more minutes.
Full Blind Bake (cream pies): Bake with parchment and weights as above for about 25 minutes. Remove parchment and weights and continue baking about 5-10 minutes.
*if using a ceramic pie dish, allow it to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes after refrigeration to avoid cracking the dish in the hot oven*
Yield: 1 pie crust top and bottom