Easy Chocolate Cream Pie
This classic Chocolate Cream Pie recipe delivers a dense and creamy chocolate filling that pairs perfectly with whipped cream and crunchy chocolate pieces. The flaky crust holding everything together, balances the flavors and lures you back for another slice.
1⁄2 cup sugar
1⁄4 cup cornstarch
1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
4 egg yolks
3 cups whole milk
1 1⁄4 cups (60% of can) dark chocolate chips melted, or 2 bars melted (Organic 72% Dark, Organic 57% Dark, or 54% Dark Signature Bar would work well here)
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspon vanilla extract
3⁄4 cup (remaining 40% of can) dark chocolate chips chopped for topping, or 1 bar chopped (any bar from above will work)
How to Make:
• Make 1⁄2 recipe pie dough.
• Blind bake pie shell at 375F until dry, pale, and cooked all the way through.
• Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and yolks in a heavy saucepan until combined.
• Add milk in a stream while whisking.
• Bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking. Reduce to a simmer whisking for 1 minute.
• Pour filling through a strainer into a bowl, then whisk in chocolate, butter, and vanilla.
• Cover surface of filling with a buttered round of parchment paper and allow to cool at least 2 hours.
• Spoon filling into prepared pie crust, loosely cover, and chill at least 6 hours.
• Top with whipped cream and chopped chocolate. Pie can be refrigerated up to 4 days.
Yield: 1 - 9 inch pie