A (Valentine’s) Day in the Life of Retail
Valentine’s Day – a day of love, romance, roses, and (most importantly) chocolate. For the retail staff at Lake Champlain Chocolates, it’s also one of the busiest days of the year! Unlike many of the other “Chocolate Holidays” that have a long busy season (Halloween, Hanukkah, Christmas), most of our customers do their Valentine’s Day shopping on February 14. We’re happy to help you pretend it’s because you want your chocolate-dipped strawberries to be as fresh as possible, but don’t feel bad if Cupid forgot to remind you to get your gift-buying done early. For many of us, it’s our favorite holiday to work.
Here are five reasons why:
1. We get to find out what everyone likes best. It is a common sight on Valentine’s Day to have a customer order a pound of Almond Butter Crunch or 25 Raspberry Truffles. When you know what your Valentine loves, why take a risk?
2. We get to make lots of recommendations. One of our favorite customers is the confused, overwhelmed, last-minute customer. You know, the one who says, “I need a gift that will make me look awesome.” Hand-packing a box of our favorites or helping you decide what kind of truffle your Valentine might like is a blast!
3. We get to tie hundreds of bows. And we love to tie perfect, pretty bows. We always say, “Once you’ve worked a Valentine’s Day here, you can tie a bow on anything!”
4. We get wonderful compliments from happy customers – because who isn’t happy when they have found a perfect gift for their Valentine? Thank you for making our day, and for telling us that we’re “not a Factory Second.”
5. We get to go home at the end of the night and relax. After a long day of helping customers prepare for the perfect Valentine’s Day, we are thrilled to skip the busy restaurants and just take it easy. Besides, it’s easier to get a reservation on the 15th!